Get to Know Us!
The Center for African Studies attracts a diverse community of scholars passionate about the continent. Interdisciplinary and serious, while fun and full of surprises, CAS welcomes you to learn about where you fit in, below.
Who We Are
A Center for Academic Excellence
The Center for African Studies (CAS) is the home for African Studies on the Stanford campus. It coordinates an ambitious and interdisciplinary program in African Studies for both undergraduate and graduate students. The program deepens our understanding of the multiple factors that have shaped and continue to shape highly diverse African societies, including with reference to Africa's diaspora populations. CAS is a key resource for student life at Stanford University. It provides students with opportunities to engage the international community, build inter-regional relationships and strengthen their academic focus. CAS faculty are internationally renowned academics, coming from diverse disciplinary and professional backgrounds. Their cutting-edge research shapes both academic and policy discourse. Explore our academic programs
A Center for Student Engagement
CAS is a key resource for student life at Stanford University. It provides students with opportunities to engage the international community, build inter-regional relationships and strengthen their academic focus.
- Bing Overseas Studies Program in Cape Town
- Research, Language, and Service Fellowships and Internships
- Language Study
- Campus Events
- Student Organizations
- Courses in African Studies
A Center for Leading Research
The Center for African Studies is affiliated with internationally renowned faculty from diverse academic and professional backgrounds, who conduct cutting edge research that shapes academic and policy discourse.
- CAS is affiliated with internationally renowned faculty members who teach interdisciplinary Africa-related courses. View our faculty
- CAS hosts visiting scholars from all over the world with different academic and professional backgrounds. Scholars contribute to ongoing research, give lectures, and hold events throughout the academic year. Current visiting scholars
- Faculty at CAS have published groundbreaking books and articles, and continue to release new material. View our featured publications