A Center for Academic Excellence
The Center for African Studies (CAS) coordinates an interdisciplinary program in African Studies for undergraduate and graduate students. The program seeks to enrich understanding of the interactions among the social, economic, cultural, historical, linguistic, genetic, geopolitical, ecological, and biomedical factors that shape and have shaped African societies. Explore our academic programs
A Center for Student Engagement
CAS is a key resource for student life at Stanford University. It provides students with opportunities to engage the international community, build inter-regional relationships and strengthen their academic focus.
- Bing Overseas Studies Program in Cape Town
- Research, Language, and Service Fellowships and Internships
- Language Study
- Campus Events
- Student Organizations
- Courses in African Studies
A Center for Leading Research
The Center for African Studies is affiliated with internationally renowned faculty from diverse academic and professional backgrounds, who conduct cutting edge research that shapes academic and policy discourse.
- CAS is affiliated with internationally renowned faculty members who teach interdisciplinary Africa-related courses. View our faculty
- CAS hosts visiting scholars from all over the world with different academic and professional backgrounds. Scholars contribute to ongoing research, give lectures, and hold events throughout the academic year. Current visiting scholars
- Faculty at CAS have published groundbreaking books and articles, and continue to release new material. View our featured publications